Tuesday 24 April 2018

British Hobby Crafter, Sam Jackson, Finds Her Niche in Germany

Sam Jackson Displays Some of Her Crafts
One of the main purposes for this series, "People in the Odenwald", is to introduce local ex-pats who have put their talents and interests to use, not only to offer a service or product, but to also make their own life more fulfilling and, in doing so, inspire others. For today's article,  I spoke with craft enthusiast Sam Jackson about her love of crafting, the projects she has on the go and how she sees her hobby developing in the future.

Sam, who moved to the region from England eleven years ago, now lives in Griesheim with her husband, John; eight-year-old son, Max and three British short-haired cats:  Shadow, Teddy and Missy. She has drawn on both her formal training and natural  talent to create a wide variety of craft products, using a variety of different materials and media. 

English Speaking Odenwald (ESO): Sam, I know that you're quite busy, so I want to thank you for taking time from your schedule to sit down with me today. You refer to yourself as a "hobby-crafter". Can you tell our readers what that is exactly?

Sam:  A hobby crafter is someone who is involved in crafting as a hobby. They are not reliant upon it for their living, unlike a professional who produces handicrafts as a job.

ESO: I follow your Facebook (FB) page, so I know that you make quite a few different items. Can you tell us about some of the craft projects that you have done in the past and what you are currently working on?

Some of Sam's Fabric Crafts  
Sam: I make quite a few fabric items, and do a lot of sewing. I make bags, purses, coin purses, pencil cases, things like that. I make three-tiered cake stands from porcelain plates and cups, and I've also started making a few things from willow, plant trellises, for example.

ESO: I'm quite familiar with your bags, as I have a couple myself, and I saw on your FB page that you upholster furniture. Can you tell me about that? Where do you get the furniture?

Chair Upholstered by Sam
Sam: Yes, I have upholstered a bit of furniture and, as a matter of fact, I have a project on the go now, an umbrella/coat stand which I'm in the process of up-cycling. I get the furniture from people who are throwing things away, classified ads, Facebook groups, places like that.

ESO: You certainly have a wide variety of craft interests. Which projects do you enjoy doing the most?

Sam: It really depends on my mood. I can be sat down doing sewing for a week, preparing for a market, and then I think, "I've had enough of that."  Then it's nice to do something else. I enjoy all of it. For example, at the moment, I've just started working with willow again because the weather's nice, so I want to get outside and do more in the garden.  

 Succulent Plants
I also sell succulents in recycled pots. So, yes, now that the weather's nice, I'm out doing the planting, getting them ready for the markets; getting the willow soaked, that kind of thing. It also depends on what stock I need, as well. If I'm preparing for a market, I will sometimes have to concentrate on one particular project, such as the sewing. 

ESOC: So that leads to my next question. Which of your projects are the most popular? Which do other people tend to like the most, I mean.

Sam: As for which projects are the most popular, people are most familiar with my cake stands and fabric items, and it's about 50/50 as far as which they like best. People tend to want quite a few of my small, open bags; coin purses and pencil cases. 

ESO: What was the first market you participated in? 

Sam: My first market was a Shabby Chic market in Gross Gerau about one and a half years ago. I haven't been doing them for very long, but I do quite a few markets with a friend of mine. It's helpful going with her because she knows some markets that are going on, and I find others. If one of us needs a break, we also cover each other's stall when we're at the same market. We do quite a few markets together because our products are different, but they complement each other.

ESO: How difficult was it for you to go to your first market?  I suppose you were nervous.

Willow Plant Trellis
Sam: My first market, I was lucky because you could set up the day before. My husband and son came with me to set up.  That was helpful, but I had no idea how my products would be received. I only had my fabric items at the time, and, yes, I was very nervous. The following market my friend was with me, and that makes it easier, but this year I'm on my second year of markets, so it's not as daunting now. 

ESO:  I know you say you're a hobby crafter, but you make some very beautiful products. I could see you turning this into a business at some point, rather than just doing it as a hobby. Where do you see your crafting going in five years time?

Sam:  That depends on where we are. I assume we'll still be here in Germany, and in that case, I suspect it will remain much the same as it is, just as a hobby. I think the amount of crafting that I do will stay roughly the same.


ESO:  What about in ten years?  Any changes?

Sam:  If we're in Germany, no, but if we're in England, it's a different story. I would most probably turn my crafting from a hobby into a profession, possibly with a shop. I have thought about having a shop where other crafters could rent space or sell on commission, something along those lines. It's nice to have a variety of products to offer buyers. I have a fairly large range myself, but by involving other sellers, you'd have even more product.

ESO: That's a good idea, somewhat like a co-op.

Sam: Yes, exactly. I'm part of a large group in England, and I see shops of this type advertising that they have space for vendors. They seem to be becoming more popular there.

Fabric Crafts
ESO:  Do you think that's because purchasing local handicrafts ties in with people's desire to buy ethically-made goods. I know, for myself, one reason I wanted a bag from you is because I know where it comes from, that it was ethically made, which is important to me.

Sam:  I think so, yes. The shops do seem to be becoming more popular, and it makes sense that there would be that connection.

ESO:  How did you get into crafting? Do you have any formal training?

Sam:  Yes, I went to college and studied something craft-related. I studied jewelry design, though because I've moved around a bit, I never really got into making jewelry. I've always had something on the go, however, knitting, cross stitch, embroidery. I also paint, though not as much as I used to. I think I just got to the point that we had been in Germany for so long that I thought, "Well, let's try to do some markets, and see how it goes."

Three-Tiered Cake Stand
ESO: Research has shown that a lot of ex-pats suffer from depression and other mental health issues, often because they feel isolated and have left past careers, etc.. Do you feel that having a hobby like crafting could help people who are depressed or feel disconnected from social networks?

Sam:  I think so. Even though I'm a hobbyist, crafting does keep me busy. If I feel that I need to be doing something, I always have a project to turn to. Also, if I  haven't seen anyone for a long time, the markets get me out of the house. I've already booked two markets for as far away as December. 

ESO:  So what do you do when you're not crafting?  Do you have any favorite places you like to go, things you enjoy doing in your spare time?

Sam:  Crafting normally takes up most of my time, that or working on the house. I do like to spend time with my family and my cats. We do normal family things together, trips and that kind of things.  We like to go to the Jugendstilbad (indoor swimming pool) in Darmstadt, other swimming pools, and my son, Max, likes Legoland.

ESO:  What is your advice for people who may want to get into crafting?

Sam: Have a go!  Just have a go, and then perhaps get involved with a local group and see what they think of your product. You never know unless you try. Not all of my products are successful, and you will sometimes fail, but just have a go. You may have some failures, but you'll also have some successes.

ESO: I think that's excellent advice. Thank you so much for allowing us to learn a bit about what you do and, possibly inspiring a few people to try their hand at crafting. 

To learn more about the products Sam has on offer, visit her Facebook Page, Handmade by SamJ, at: https://www.facebook.com/handmadebysamj/


No comments:

Post a Comment